Monday, January 28, 2008

Mozilla Firefox

This is advertising I feel compelled to do.

I am an ardent fan of Mozilla Firefox, so much so that I cannot stand using IE. A browser with every add-on you need is a blessing that will make the rituals of internet surfing a breeze. For quite some time I have wanted to recommend Mozilla Firefox on the class wiki but I figured that that may not be the best place to do so. Anyway, here are add-ons I recommend getting once you've downloaded and installed Firefox:

  • Adblock Plus and Adblock Filterset.G Updater: "Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them."

  • All-in-One Sidebar: "All-in-One Sidebar (AiOS) is an award-winning sidebar control, inspired by Opera's. It lets you quickly switch between sidebar panels, view dialog windows such as downloads, extensions, and more in the sidebar, or view source or websites in the sidebar."

  • Copy Plain Text: "Copies text without formatting..."

  • Download Statusbar: "View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar - without the download window getting in the way of your web browsing."

  • IE Tab: "IE Tab - an extension from Taiwan, features: Embedding Internet Explorer in tabs of Mozilla/Firefox..."

  • McAfee SiteAdvisor: "We test the Web to help keep you safe from spyware, spam, viruses and online scams."

  • NoScript: "It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice"

  • Tab Mix Plus: "Tab Mix Plus enhances Firefox's tab browsing capabilities. It includes such features as duplicating tabs, controlling tab focus, tab clicking options, undo closed tabs and windows, plus much more. It also includes a full-featured session manager..." My must-have is Duplicate Tabs.

  • Zotero: "Zotero [zoh-TAIR-oh] is a free, easy-to-use Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources."


I used to have even more extensions but everytime I reformat my PC or reinstall stuff I start all over again with the bare essentials. Still, it only takes minutes to get all the extensions back and running, even if you do not employ some method of saving them somewhere. Now, there is even a campus edition. What's not to like?

Free and open source should be the way to go!

Anyway, you really have to look at this to get an idea of the creativity of Firefox users and their adoration for the browser:


2007 Get Firefox ビデオアワード

And the first of an interesting series of Japanese youtube videos on Mozilla Firefox:

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/umed6hskKg0" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

No comments: