Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Identity Theft

As usual, I am being melodramatic and pessimistic, but the observations apply.

I freaked out when I found numerous notifications from one unknown wiki which supposed that I edited it. Some computer user had taken the liberty to login and edit a page without first checking if he/she used a name and email that were his or her own.

Naturally I am disgusted. It simply betrays how our class wiki is oh-so-susceptible to abuse of every kind. It is not unimaginable that in the absence of consideration and careful regard for work (mindless editing a classic example) that someone may just become someone else.

If we lose faith in our class wiki, how can we resurrect belief in a platform that is only protected by a common password that is almost public information, as long as you search?

At the very least, I can take comfort in how this is at least not the case yet for our class wiki. BUT, make this incident my second BAD brush with class wikis.

Postscript: I distinctly remember clearing my private data from Firefox before logging out of that NIE computer the other day. I have tried contacting the owner of the wiki but to no avail so far. Now, I have a desperate urge to come up with indecipherable passwords for everything online. I am paranoid. My persona is paranoid. This is my first, not second life.

No comments: