Monday, August 25, 2008

An Honest Self-Appraisal

I've just finished reading one student's reflection on my teaching. I must say that, rather than feel upset about her candid remark that my CT does a better job than I do, I feel exactly the same way. Then again, the purpose of Teaching Practice is not to overtake those who have gone before me. Rather, it is to learn from them, but I fear that my training is far from complete - there will still be trials and new disciplines to master in the years ahead, as it is for Padawans training to become Jedis.

I also have this trembling sense that I am still struggling to find my identity in this profession. I am as confused as ever albeit more certain about certain certainties. Then there is the uncertainty surrounding my posting that will not lift until months later. Can I shape an identity despite shifting environments, or will/must the way I project myself depend on the habitat I am in?

No comments: